Birthing pool infection risk warning

This article was posted in News on .

The NHS in England has advised women not to use certain home birthing pools after a baby had to go into intensive care for an infection believed to be linked to their use. Samples taken from the heated birthing pool have confirmed the presence of legionella bacteria, which cause Legionnaires’ disease. Tests will establish if Read more…


Southampton School reopens after legionella detected

This article was posted in News on .

A Southampton school will reopen tomorrow after a potentially fatal bacteria was found in its water system. Mason Moor Primary School in Millbrook has been shut all week since legionella – which can lead to Legionnaire’s Disease – was discovered. But the school’s hot water systems and pipework have now been isolated and treated, while new localised Read more…


Discovery of legionella bacteria in water shuts school

This article was posted in News on .

A school in Hampshire has closed due to traces of a potentially fatal bacteria that was found in their water system. Mason Moor Primary school in Millbrook has sent out letters to parents about the discovery of the legionella bacteria after a water quality test. It says the health and safety of its pupils are Read more…


Tower Hamlets death from legionnaires’ disease sparks inquiry

This article was posted in News on .

Health bosses are carrying out a major investigation after a person died from legionnaires’ disease in the borough last week. Officials at Public Health England confirmed the death, adding that the individual had pre-existing health conditions. Dr Vanessa Saliba, consultant in communicable disease control at PHE’s North East and North Central London Health Protection Team, Read more…


Guernsey hospital discovers Legionella on ward

This article was posted in Follow our website for the latest..., News on .

Legionella has been discovered at the Castel hospital in Guernsey, health officials have confirmed. The bacteria, which can lead to Legionnaires’ disease, was found on Albecq ward during routine water tests. The health department has stopped use of ward showers and said it was in the process of removing the bacteria. This involves raising water Read more…


Health alert as superbug found in hospital water tanks

This article was posted in News on .

PATIENTS across Scotland are at risk of picking up a deadly superbug growing in hospital drinking water tanks. All of the country’s health boards have been alerted about the problem by the Scottish Government’s infection control agency, Health Protection ­Scotland, after its estates department discovered the bug called pseudomonas, which is resistant to penicillin, in Read more…


Oncology Ward given all clear after Pseudomonas tests

This article was posted in News on .

Patients in Barrow will be moved into a new cancer ward after the water supply was found to be safe. Transfers to the new purpose built Coniston Suite at Furness General Hospital was postponed after Pseudomonas bacteria was detected in the water. Pseudomonas can cause a range of infections, particularly among those who have a Read more…


Winchester care home criticised by inspectors

This article was posted in News on .

Owners of a Winchester nursing home for pensioners with dementia have been ordered to make urgent improvements to standards of care. The Care Quality Commission issued two formal warning notices to Bereweeke Court Nursing Home after unannounced inspections in February, April, May, June and October. Concerns about the Bupa-run home, which is registered to care for up Read more…


Launceston Community Hospital beds fully reopen

This article was posted in News on .

Ten beds which have been closed for almost a year at a community hospital in north Cornwall have reopened. Staff shortages closed half of the 20 in-patient beds at Cornwall’s Launceston Hospital in November 2012. But following successful recruitment it was announced in October that the 10 closed beds would fully reopen. Launceston Hospital, which Read more…


£30K fountain makeover results in a ‘dribble’

This article was posted in News on .

A council  spent £30,000 renovating a fountain which will be restricted to a “dribble” amid health and safety fears. The Whyte-Melville Fountain, based in the heart of St Andrews, Fife, has been without running water for more than 80 years. But following the expensive makeover it has emerged there will be more of a trickle Read more…