NHS warns killer Legionnaires’ disease could be in your garden as bug shuts down school and hospitalises four people

This article was posted in News on .

THE particular strain of the bug, which shut down Cargilfield Preparatory School and left two elderly victims fighting for their lives yesterday, can be found in compost. FOUR Scots gardeners have been struck down by deadly Legionnaires’ disease – caught from compost. Two elderly victims were last night fighting for their lives in intensive care, Read more…


Lothian Legionella cases linked to compost

This article was posted in News on .

NHS Lothian has said it is investigating four cases of Legionella longbeachae linked to gardening compost. Two patients are currently being treated in intensive care in hospital. Another two have been discharged after treatment. Symptoms of the infection can include headaches, diarrhoea or a dry cough followed by pneumonia. The health board is trying to Read more…


Eastern High School closed after Legionnaires’ bug found

This article was posted in News on .

Officials in Cardiff have confirmed that the bug responsible for Legionnaires’ disease has been found at a new super-school. Eastern High School in Cardiff opened on Monday, bringing together about 1,500 pupils from the former Rumney and Llanrumney high schools. However, staff told parents on Wednesday evening that it had to close. Cardiff council said Read more…


Legionnaires’ disease fear at leisure centre

This article was posted in News on .

A leisure centre in Edinburgh has been closed amid fears of a legionnaires’ disease outbreak. The £1m pavilion at Colinton Mains Park has been closed after a routine safety check found high water temperatures within the building had created ideal conditions for the deadly disease. The shock discovery has led to calls for urgent inspections of leisure Read more…


Care home ordered to pay £40,000 after failing to control Legionella risk

This article was posted in Follow our website for the latest..., News on .

A private care home in Wallasey, Merseyside, has been ordered to pay £40,000 in fines and costs after it failed to manage the risk of elderly residents catching a potentially-fatal strain of pneumonia. Mother Redcaps Care Home was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after failing to comply with an Improvement Notice to assess the Read more…


Hospital apologies after being hit with legionella fine

This article was posted in News, Prevention is better than cure... on .

Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust would again like to send its condolences and apologies to patients who contracted Legionnaires Disease while receiving care at Basildon University Hospital. The Trust accepts the fine imposed today following prosecution by the Health and Safety Executive. There have been no cases of Legionnaires Disease at the Read more…


Basildon Hospital ‘failed patients’ over legionella cases

This article was posted in Follow our website for the latest..., News on .

A hospital criticised over high mortality rates failed to protect patients from a fatal legionella infestation, a court has heard. Two patients died in 2007 and 2010 after contracting Legionnaires’ disease at Basildon Hospital in Essex. Six more were infected during the same period. The hospital admitted failings under the Health and Safety at Work Read more…


Northampton fountain to return after legionella contamination

This article was posted in Follow our website for the latest..., News on .

A Northampton fountain contaminated with the bacterium that causes Legionnaires’ disease is to be made safer after a council consultation. The Market Square water feature was turned off in August 2012 after traces of the legionella bacterium were found. Nearly 60% of the 350 people who responded said they want the fountain remodelled and switched Read more…