E.Coli identified at Festival Site in Suffolk !

This article was posted in News on .

The water supply at The Latitude Festival was switched to a bottled and tankered delivery method, when contamination was found during the annual event held in Suffolk between 14-17 July 2011. The organiser said in a statement “That this was water for non-potable use, but that it could not guarentee the security of the potable Read more…


Basildon hospital Legionnaires’ patient death probe

This article was posted in News on .

The death of a patient with Legionnaires’ disease at an Essex hospital is being investigated by the police and Health and Safety Executive. Basildon University Hospital confirmed the patient died on Saturday. Managers said they had started their own investigation when the diagnosis was made a week earlier. In 2010 there were three cases of Legionnaires’ Read more…


New water system at dry ski centre after legionella bug fear

This article was posted in News on .

A new water system is being installed at Sunderland’s dry ski centre, after the legionella bacterium was found. Silkworth Sports Complex was closed in June after higher than normal levels of bacteria were found during routine monitoring. The bug can lead to Legionnaires’ disease, a potentially fatal form of pneumonia. Work on a new system Read more…


Cause of Legionnaires’ outbreak might never be known

This article was posted in News on .

The exact source of an outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease in the south Wales valleys last year might never be known. A report into the outbreak – in which two people died – has concluded that no single source accounted for cases in Merthyr Tydfil and the Cynon and Rhymney Valleys. But the team behind the Read more…


Valleys’ legionnaires’ outbreak had a number of sources

This article was posted in News on .

A fatal outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease in the south Wales valleys may have been caused by “very unusual climatic conditions,” officials say. An 85-year-old man and a woman of 49 died, and 22 people needed hospital treatment after the 2010 outbreak. No single source was identified for cases in the Cynon Valley, Merthyr Tydfil and Read more…


Gardener catches Legionella bug from compost

This article was posted in News on .

A hidden danger in the garden has been highlighted by the case of a man who contracted Legionnaires’ disease from handling compost. Doctors discovered that the 67-year-old man was infected through a cut in his hand. Reporting the “rare” incident in The Lancet medical journal, they said compost was known to harbour Legionnaires’ bugs. The Read more…


Deadly bug alert for old schools

This article was posted in News on .

Run-Down schools must be checked for the dangerous legionella bug, a council has agreed. Lambeth council plans to spend £237,000 investigating the risk at two primaries, and at its town hall in Brixton Hill.  The warning about the bug, which can lead to legionnaires’ disease – a form of bacterial pneumonia that can prove fatal Read more…


Legionella bug found at Silksworth ski slope

This article was posted in News on .

Sunderland’s dry ski slope has been temporarily closed after the discovery of the legionella bug. It was among higher than normal levels of bacteria found at the Silksworth Sports Complex during routine monitoring of its water system. The bug can lead to Legionnaires’ disease, a potentially fatal form of pneumonia. Sunderland Council said the complex was Read more…


Firms fined after Brierley Hill legionella inquiry

This article was posted in News on .

Two West Midlands firms have been fined £120,000 after staff and the public were put at risk of exposure to legionella bacteria. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) started an inquiry after a worker at Eaton Ltd in Brierley Hill died from Legionnaire’s disease in 2006. No link between the death and action by the Read more…


Lorry driver contracts Legionnaires from washer bottle

This article was posted in News on .

Lorry driver contracts Legionnaires from washer bottle Lincolnshire lorry driver Adrian Denniss is still recovering after contracting Legionnaires’ disease while working in France.  Mr Denniss, from Boston, was diagnosed after a chance visit to hospital following a minor road accident. It is believed that he was infected by droplets from his lorry’s contaminated windscreen water Read more…