Just a sixth of H&S regulation to be left untouched

This article was posted in News on .

The Chancellor has promised that 84 per cent of health and safety regulation will be scrapped or improved, according to this year’s Budget.Last year, in its response to the Lofstedt review, the Government said it is committed to reduce health and safety regulation by more than half. The latest figure announced in the Budget takes Read more…


Vessel owners warned about Legionella Risk in Showerheads

This article was posted in News on .

A warning has been issued to vessel owners about the need for rigorous maintenance for Fresh Water Tanks and Distribution Systems as water samples from shower heads in two vessels tested positive for Legionella Bacteria.This is covered under the MGN 397 (M+F) Guidelines for the Provision of Food and Fresh Water on Merchant Ships and Read more…


(USA) Greenspring Homeowners Association – Legionella found in showers

This article was posted in News on .

Greenspring Homeowners Association says they’ve been taking extraordinary precautions after they discovered legionella, the bacterium that causes Legionnaire’s disease, in more than one unit at the townhouse complex. According to GHA Property Manager Andy Childs, the presence of legionella was first indicated after a 78-year-old man who had stayed in one of the units over Read more…


Health Ministry: Infants get Legionnaires’ disease (Israel)

This article was posted in News on .

Doctors have diagnosed three cases of Legionnella bacterial pneumonia infections in babies under the age of one since the beginning of this year, and three others a year before, the Health Ministry said on Wednesday. According to the Ministry, the cases were reported in the centre and coastal regions. The disease, caused by standing water Read more…


Showers shut after health inspection

This article was posted in News on .

SHOWERS at the Ongar Sports and Social Club had to be closed after a health and safety survey found them to be at “high risk” of legionnaires’ disease. However, the club, which is owned by Ongar Town Council, should not be adversely affected after the town council moved swiftly to arrange for repairs. It had been Read more…


Guernsey hospital clears water system of legionella

This article was posted in News on .

Legionella bacteria have been eradicated from the water system at Guernsey’s Princess Elizabeth Hospital, according to the health department. Ed Freestone, from the department, said: “We have basically cleared it out of the system and that is a really good result. We have cracked the problem.” Heat treatment was used after chemicals failed to solve the Read more…


Legionella Outbreak Leads to Prosecution for Recycling Company

This article was posted in News on .

HSE inspectors visited Merthyr Industrial Services (Biomass) Ltd. They found that in a five-week period, the company used a cooling tower without taking appropriate measures to control the risk of Legionella bacteria proliferation. As a result HSE served an immediate Prohibition Notice to stop them using the cooling tower until the right controls were in Read more…


E. coli primary school shut for second day

This article was posted in News on .

A Staffordshire primary school will be closed for a second day after an outbreak of E. coli. Three cases have been confirmed so far and all pupils at Friarswood Primary School in Newcastle-under-Lyme are being tested. The Health Protection Agency (HPA) is still trying to find the source of the bacteria. Staffordshire County Council said Read more…


Friarswood Primary School shut over E. coli outbreak

This article was posted in News on .

A Staffordshire primary school has been closed due to an outbreak of E. coli. Three cases have been confirmed and all pupils at Friarswood Primary School in Newcastle-under-Lyme are being tested, the Health Protection Agency (HPA) said.  The E. coli O157 bacteria usually causes diarrhoea, it added. Staffordshire County Council said it is believed the Read more…


A York Pensioner in Legionnaires’ Disease tragedy

This article was posted in News on .

A pensioner from York died while on holiday in Spain with his wife when Legionnaires’ Disease broke out at their hotel. Retired police officer John Poland, 88, from New Earswick, was staying at the four-star Hotel Diamante Beach in Alicante when he became ill. Despite treatment in a Benidorm hospital, he passed away on February 20. Four Read more…