Fourth Legionnaires’ case emerges in town.

This article was posted in News on .

A FOURTH case of Legionnaires’ disease has been found in Carmarthen. Investigations into the outbreak started last week after three cases were discovered in the town. The new case is also being investigated by Public Health Wales and Carmarthenshire Council’s Environmental Health department. The cases all have links to Carmarthen and have all required hospital Read more…


Victim calls for investigation into legionnaires’ outbreak in wake of new safety notices

This article was posted in News on .

FRESH calls were made today for a public inquiry into Edinburgh’s legionella outbreak amid claims it is being “swept under the carpet”. Lawyers acting for legionnaires’ disease victims, renewed their call after Health & Saftey Executive issued a new safety notice to spa centres, care homes and manufactuers over theit use of hot and cold Read more…


Victim calls for investigation into legionnaires’ outbreak in wake of new safety notices

This article was posted in News on .

FRESH calls were made today for a public inquiry into Edinburgh’s legionella outbreak amid claims it is being “swept under the carpet”. Lawyers acting for legionnaires’ disease victims renewed their call after the Health and Safety Executive issued a new safety notice to spa centres, care homes and manufacturers over their use of hot and Read more…


Early diagnosis key in minimising effect of disease

This article was posted in News on .

THE recent outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease in Carmarthen was not as serious as others because it was caught early, a doctor from the town has said. Three people were taken to hospital on Friday but discharged later that day. Dr Dewi Evans, a consultant paediatrician from Carmarthen, said: “The fact that the three people have Read more…


Legionnaires warning as two outbreaks are discovered

This article was posted in News on .

Legionella bacteria has been discovered in Powys at Llandrindod Wells Hospital and has also affected residents in Carmarthen. Carmarthen residents have been warned to be on the lookout for symptoms of potentially fatal Legionnaires’ disease after an outbreak in the town, reported the South Wales Evening Post. Public Health Wales and Carmarthenshire Council’s Environmental Health Read more…


Legionella hit Newark Hill Primary to reopen on Monday

This article was posted in News on .

A primary school in Peterborough, closed at the beginning of September after legionella was found in the water system, is to reopen on Monday. Bacteria that can cause the potentially fatal Legionnaires’ disease were found at Newark Hill School. Peterborough City Council expect it to reopen after workers carried out chlorination of the system to Read more…


Newark Hill Primary closed after legionella bug found

This article was posted in News on .

Legionella, the bacteria which can cause the potentially fatal Legionaires’ disease, has been found in a school water system. The bug was discovered during routine testing at the Newark Hill Primary School in Peterborough. Peteborough City Council said the school had been closed temporarily until 10 September as a “precaution”. The school’s hot water system Read more…


Hinchingbrooke Hospital’s new managers are set to spend an extra £120k to protect patients against legionnaires’ disease.

This article was posted in News on .

When Circle took over management of the hospital in February on a 10-year management franchise, the company’s head of facilities and estates, Mark Cammies, set up a new regime of inspection and testing for the legionella bacterium, which is often found in stored water and can cause pneumonia-like infection when ingested as droplets. Circle stressed Read more…


Legionnaire disease has killed three people who stayed at the JW Marriott Hotel, Chicago.

This article was posted in News on .

A third person, 66-year-old Thomas Keane of Ireland, died after contracting Legionnaires’ disease at the hotel. There have been 10 reported cases of the disease from people who stayed at the hotel.  The infected people stayed at the JW Marriott between 16 July and 15 August 2012. After conducting tests, officials from the Chicago Department of Public Read more…