Early diagnosis key in minimising effect of disease

This article was posted in News on .

THE recent outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease in Carmarthen was not as serious as others because it was caught early, a doctor from the town has said. Three people were taken to hospital on Friday but discharged later that day. Dr Dewi Evans, a consultant paediatrician from Carmarthen, said: “The fact that the three people have Read more…


Legionnaires warning as two outbreaks are discovered

This article was posted in News on .

Legionella bacteria has been discovered in Powys at Llandrindod Wells Hospital and has also affected residents in Carmarthen. Carmarthen residents have been warned to be on the lookout for symptoms of potentially fatal Legionnaires’ disease after an outbreak in the town, reported the South Wales Evening Post. Public Health Wales and Carmarthenshire Council’s Environmental Health Read more…


Legionella hit Newark Hill Primary to reopen on Monday

This article was posted in News on .

A primary school in Peterborough, closed at the beginning of September after legionella was found in the water system, is to reopen on Monday. Bacteria that can cause the potentially fatal Legionnaires’ disease were found at Newark Hill School. Peterborough City Council expect it to reopen after workers carried out chlorination of the system to Read more…


Newark Hill Primary closed after legionella bug found

This article was posted in News on .

Legionella, the bacteria which can cause the potentially fatal Legionaires’ disease, has been found in a school water system. The bug was discovered during routine testing at the Newark Hill Primary School in Peterborough. Peteborough City Council said the school had been closed temporarily until 10 September as a “precaution”. The school’s hot water system Read more…


Hinchingbrooke Hospital’s new managers are set to spend an extra £120k to protect patients against legionnaires’ disease.

This article was posted in News on .

When Circle took over management of the hospital in February on a 10-year management franchise, the company’s head of facilities and estates, Mark Cammies, set up a new regime of inspection and testing for the legionella bacterium, which is often found in stored water and can cause pneumonia-like infection when ingested as droplets. Circle stressed Read more…


Legionnaire disease has killed three people who stayed at the JW Marriott Hotel, Chicago.

This article was posted in News on .

A third person, 66-year-old Thomas Keane of Ireland, died after contracting Legionnaires’ disease at the hotel. There have been 10 reported cases of the disease from people who stayed at the hotel.  The infected people stayed at the JW Marriott between 16 July and 15 August 2012. After conducting tests, officials from the Chicago Department of Public Read more…


Stoke-on-Trent Legionnaires’ outbreak victim Dave Spooner: ‘I’ve never felt so sick in all my life’

This article was posted in News on .

MECHANIC Dave Spooner is battling to regain his fitness after being diagnosed with Legionnaires’ Disease. Doctors at first believed the 53-year-old was suffering with pneumonia, but further tests revealed he had contracted the killer bug. At the height of his illness the garage owner was confined to his bed suffering shakes, hot sweats and abdominal Read more…


Legionella in community showers

This article was posted in News on .

Potentially deadly legionella bacteria have been found in showers at a community centre. The bacteria, which can cause Legionnaires’ disease, were discovered by routine testing at Menzieshill Community Centre in Dundee around two weeks ago. According to Dundee City Council, there are no “public health issues”. The shower area has been closed and the water Read more…