Legionella find closes Withernsea Community Hospital

This article was posted in News on .

A hospital has been closed after a strain of the Legionella bacterium was found in the water system. A spokesman said all services at Withernsea Community Hospital in East Yorkshire would be closed “for the foreseeable future”. Chemical cleaning of the water system will take place before it can reopen. The spokesman stressed that the Read more…


Cooling tower safety checks to manage legionella risks

This article was posted in News on .

Businesses with cooling towers in the west of Scotland face checks to ensure they are managing legionella risks. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) will visit cooling towers in Glasgow, North Ayrshire, Inverclyde and Renfrewshire. The inspections are part a wider initiative to promote better control of legionella. Three men died following an outbreak of Read more…


HSE and local authorities to make legionella visits in the west of Scotland

This article was posted in News on .

Businesses and organisations with cooling towers in the west of Scotland are facing checks to ensure they are managing legionella risks appropriately. Businesses and organisations with cooling towers in the west of Scotland are facing checks to ensure they are managing legionella risks appropriately. Inspectors from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and local authorities Read more…


St Botolph’s Court: Legionella water restriction lifting starts

This article was posted in News on .

Water restrictions at a Lincoln sheltered housing block where Legionella bacteria was found have begun to be lifted. The bacteria, which can cause the lung infection Legionnaires’ disease, was discovered in the water system at St Botolph’s Court last week. The city council said food preparation facilities had been restored, but showering restrictions remained. The Read more…


Legionella restrictions remain at Lincoln sheltered housing

This article was posted in News on .

Water restrictions will remain in place at a Lincoln sheltered housing block where Legionella bacteria was found, for at least another three days. The bacteria which can cause fatal lung infection Legionnaires’ disease, was discovered in the water system at St Botolph’s Court a week ago. The City of Lincoln Council said a chemical-clean of Read more…


Decontamination extended at Legionella site in Lincoln

This article was posted in News on .

Decontamination work at an elderly sheltered accommodation site in Lincoln has been extended over the weekend. The City Council discovered high readings of the bacteria Legionella in parts of the water system at St Botolph’s Court on Tuesday. Since Wednesday, 51 elderly residents have been provided with safe drinking water and off-site bathing facilities at Read more…


Case of suspected Legionnaire’s Disease

This article was posted in News on .

It commonly starts with a ‘flu-like’ illness and may later develop complications. Legionnaire’s disease does not spread from person to person, It therefore poses no risk to family, friends, carers or care workers. LA man is being treated in St.Bernards Hospital for suspected Legioneeaire’s disease, after being admitted with non-specific symptons. It is believed that Read more…


Burnley hotel Legionnaires’ Disease rumours quashed

This article was posted in News on .

Rumours of an outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease at Burnley’s Keirby Hotel have been quashed. The hotel, now known as the Crown, has been closed for six weeks and all 48 studentsfrom UCFB College of Football Business moved elsewhere following boiler trouble at the premises. A distressed mum of one of the students rang the Burnley Read more…


Legionella bacteria found at Lincoln sheltered housing

This article was posted in News on .

The bacteria which can cause a fatal lung infection has been found in sheltered accommodation in Lincoln. Legionella, which can lead to Legionnaires’ disease, was discovered in the water system at St Botolph’s Court, which has 51 elderly residents. The city council said bottled drinking water and alternative bathing facilities had been provided. A chemical clean of Read more…