Building water systems can harbour Legionella bacteria which can lead to outbreaks of Legionnaires disease. This has led to the introduction of legislation under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 requiring Building Managers and Operators to assess the risk, implement control measures and ensure that management and record keeping functions are adequate and up to date. In accordance with the HSE Approved Code of Practice and Guidance, The control of legionella bacteria in water systems (L8), regular inspection and monitoring is required and the results must be recorded. Procedures must be continually reviewed in order to ensure that hygiene standards are maintained.
Vectair Environmental can offer comprehensive water quality surveys and set up management programmes to prevent potential health risks arising, to ensure that high standards are maintained and that legal requirements are met by providing the following services:
Control of Legionellosis
- Water quality services include surveys and risk assessment of building systems in support of Legionella control
- Specialist advice for cooling towers, swimming pools, spas and process water systems
- Preparation of control and record manuals
- Schematic system layouts
- Ongoing monitoring, audit and record keeping
- Compliance management including carrying out of periodic tasks as required
- Water sampling and analysis
- Ongoing water hygiene monitoring
- Independent advice on system design and hygiene control including water treatment options
The available guidance regarding the design and maintenance of hot and cold water services systems is widely available and comprehensive. Through all aspects of the available guidance it is good policy to fall back on four basic principles when assessing the requirements for system operation:
- Maintain cold water at a sufficiently low temperature.
- Maintain hot water at a sufficiently high temperature.
- Keep water on the move.
- Keep the water and the storage and distribution systems clean.
It is also essential that drinking water services and drink dispensing systems are regularly monitored and tested to ensure that they are safe. Water sampling and analysis is required to confirm that water quality is within EC and UK Water Authority guidelines for microbiological, chemical levels and metals levels.
- Assessment of drinking water quality including vending services and storage dispensers
- Potable water sampling and analysis for microbiological, chemical and metals parameters
- Contamination investigation and remedial management
- Specialist advice for bore hole extraction and monitoring regimes
- Ongoing potable water quality trend analysis and record keeping
Reports and assessments are presented in a clear and concise format and record manuals are designed for ease of use and flexibility. They can also be stored and accessed online using our Zetasafe service.
For further information on these or any other services or to arrange a free consultation call: